Amesbury Trails currently consists of:
- A small core group of dedicated volunteers planning events and advocating for open space.
- The Amesbury Trails Facebook page, with 1500+ followers. We post photos, trails events, and relevant news.
- The amesburytrails.net website with information, maps, and photos of our major open spaces.
- 100+ subscribers to our email mailing list.
We also had great turnout for over a dozen guided walks and trail cleanup days. Thank you!
In 2015 we completed our first major project, the Great Swamp Boardwalk:
- A 300 ft wooden boardwalk crossing the Great Swamp.
- Links the Town Forest with Woodsom Farm and Quimby Lane.
- The project was built on Greenbelt land.
- The boardwalk was funded in part by a grant from Essex National Heritage and donations from Lake Gardner Improvement Association.
- We had more than 35 volunteers from Amesbury and 6 other nearby towns help us with this multi-day build.
- The boardwalk is getting lots of use!
Here’s some Goals for 2016:
- Grow our core group so we have more folks planning events and advocating open space.
- Plan guided walks to happen at least monthly.
- Plan trail cleanups to happen monthly.
- Create a stewardship program, where volunteers take ownership of different trails.
- Improve our coordination with the city on open space issues, trail maintenance, and stewardship.
Still reading? Here's a call to action: We need people who are itching to participate by volunteering and organizing.
Join us for an info and planning session on April 17th.
We'll share snacks and refreshments, make some exciting announcements, and find out from you who's going to be playing an active role on Amesbury's Trails for 2016!
Location: 36 Main St. 2nd Floor (Code & Circuit)
Date/Time: Sunday, April 17th at 1PM. Meeting to last about one hour.
RSVP: Click Join on the Facebook event or email firstname.lastname@example.org so we know you're coming.
After the meeting, let's plan to head right out for an adventure somewhere in the woods of Amesbury.